Brunch is seriously one of my top ten favorite things in life.
I love trying out new brunch and breakfast spots in San Francisco and Oakland, but last weekend I woke up with a warm kitten on my chest and the immediate understanding that nothing could pull me out of my pajamas before noon.
Plus, the lyrics to Jack Johnson’s “Banana Pancakes” were stuck in my head…”Wake up slow, mmm mm, wake up slow,”…which further mellowed me out and made me hungry for something sweet. I thought, “Hey, this Jack Johnson guy might be onto something.”
So, I decided to crawl out of bed just long enough to feed the cat and make some delicious chocolate chip banana pancakes with blueberry compote.
I adapted my pancake recipe from PaleoOMG‘s paleo banana vanilla bean version and used my own blueberry compote recipe for an insanely simple and crazy delicious treat.
Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes (Gluten-Free)
- 2 bananas, peeled
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place bananas in your food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Add eggs to blend further, until mixed.
- Blend in coconut flour, vanilla extract, baking soda and cinnamon. Puree until smooth.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, pour 3 tablespoons of batter into the skillet. (This should make mini pancakes about 3 inches in diameter, which are perfect for flipping.)
- Add a handful of dark chocolate chips to each pancake.
- Flip once the top of each pancake starts to bubble.
- While the pancakes are cooking, make the compote.
- 2 cups (frozen) blueberries
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- orange zest
- Combine blueberries, orange juice and orange zest in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Remove orange zest, stir and pour compote over pancake stacks.
I also made some scrambled eggs and turkey bacon to round out my new favorite homemade brunch.