When I pull out a coaster, ALL I think about is how my mom conditioned me into always using one, and how proud she’d be to see me still listen to her nagging. Granted, a little condensation on my $20 IKEA LACK coffee table wouldn’t be the end of the world, but I still suppose it’s a good habit to use one. Right?
These DIY mustache coasters are simple and inexpensive to make and add the perfect amount of playfulness to evening drinks. Plus, each one has different mustaches on it, so you can always identify “The Bandito’s” or “The Texan’s” drink from your own.
– 4″x4″ tiles (got mine from Home Depot for 16 cents each)
– Scrapbook paper (I just needed one 12×12 sheet for four coasters)
– Modge Podge
– Waterproof sealer
– Cork or felt (for the bottom of the coaster)
– Foam paintbrush
– X-ACTO knife & a ruler (or scissors)
1. Trace the tile onto your paper and cut it out.
2. Modge Podge the paper to your tile, using thin, even coats. Let the Modge Podge dry, then apply 1-2 more coats to the top.
3. Spray each tile with waterproof sealer. 2-3 coats should work well. Let dry.
4. Glue either a felt or cork square to the bottom of your coaster to protect your table from scratches when the coasters are in use.
5. Pour yourself a glass of wine, and enjoy your newly completed DIY mustache coasters!
One of my next projects is to create some mustache wine glasses and coffee mugs to coordinate. When that’s complete, I’ll share!